Thursday, January 1

The Way We Were and a Covering!

It’s a brand new year and remembering the years gone by has been part of my days since my husband died. One of my favorite movies of old was ‘The Way We Were’ with Robert Redford and Barbara Streisand and I’m sure most remember the song of the same title. “Memories, like the corners of my mind, Misty water-colored memories of the way we were”. It’s probably a girlie flick and a girlie song; you know the kind that we love because they stir the emotions.

It’s been bittersweet these last weeks as I have had an opportunity in many ways to remember the way we were. I’ve done that through pictures, old 8mm film that we put to VCR and through verbal memories with family. Because the last ten years had been so full of care giving, working, taking care of the home and yard and doing all the things that it takes to keep a home going we had forgotten to reminisce very much. I wish we had done that together more often.

Watching the movie film was sweet and I sat there and just smiled at him because every time I had the movie camera on him he would smile, wave or tip his hat, even on his horse or when he was running cattle down the alley. It puts you right back into the moment so, of course, I smiled back and waved at him and whispered those sweet words of endearment, a bit of comfort! The song says: “Memories may be beautiful and yet what’s too painful to remember we simply choose to forget, so it’s the laughter we will remember, whenever we remember the way we were” It is easier certainly to remember the laughter but I think it is also necessary to remember the painful memories as well. It would seem if all you remembered were the ‘good’ memories and the laughter you would have to set up an idol, I’m reminded in the Scripture to not do that. So I go about remembering both, the bitter and the sweet!

We don’t use the word ‘covering’ in our marriage language today but the Scripture gives us that very picture. It is the same picture we have in the book of Ruth in the bible. Naomi commands Ruth to go unto Boaz, at the threshing floor, where Ruth was to ask Boaz to spread his skirt over her. (Ruth 3:9) This was a symbol of coming under his care and protection as near kinsman. So the ‘covering’ is a protection for a woman, one that she cherishes without even knowing the full extent of what it means; that is until she is without the covering.

I did some reading and found that “An ancient Hebraic wedding custom included a robe or shawl that a groom placed around the shoulders of his bride signifying she has come under his covenant covering of protection, and spiritual, physical, emotional, and material care.” It’s amazing because every woman I’ve talked with instantly recognizes the covering that her husband gives her.

I’m thankful to be reminded in Psalm 91 that “He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty and that He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler. “

I come under The Almighty, the “Shaddai’s” gracious protection because I am His child and the metaphor is as birds do their young who are unable to cover their selves.

“Hide me Oh Lord under the shadow of thy wings.”

No comments:

Post a Comment